Congratulations to the following people:
Kaleidoscope by Verla Hershell 1st Place Digital Creative
Inside Out by Don Thun Honorable Mention Digital Creative
Mountain Stream by Greg Hoglund Honorable Mention Nature Print
Wonderful job everyone!!
The May 2011 meeting will be held at the Topeka Library on May 3rd at 6:30pm. Please see the signs in the lobby for the exact meeting room being used.
This month we will be deciding on the Themes and Programs for the upcoming year. Please bring your list of ideas for themes and programs to be discussed.
We will also look at the N4C winners from April. If you have any photos you would like to have submitted for the N4C contest, please e-mail correctly formatted photos to Scott Udey by 4:00pm on Tuesday, May 3rd or bring them on a flash drive or CD. If you are not sure how to format your photos, Dave Navarro has a post on here called “The Monthly Photo Contest Requirements” that will be helpful.
Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
This year, along with all the other exciting activities, the Kansas Garden Show will again sponsor a Photography Contest coordinated by the Topeka Camera Club. The Show will be held at the Kansas Expo Centre in Topeka on February 18, 19 & 20, 2011. Photographs will be exhibited at the photographer’s own risk.
The following criteria will apply to your entries:
- Horticulture must be the focal point of all pictures with the exception of Kansas Wild Flowers and Trees of The Wild categories. The definition of horticulture is the cultivation of a garden or orchard or the art or science of growing flowers, fruit, and vegetables.
- Photos should be no smaller than 5 x7 and no larger than 8 x 12, mounted on board stock or matted. Pictures may not be framed or under glass.
- Categories include:
A. Kansas Wild Flowers
B. The Rose
C. Spring Blooms
D. Summer Blooms
E. Trees of The Garden/Yard
F. Trees of the Wild
H. Animals/Insects in The Garden
(Ribbons will be awarded to the first three places in each category. Honorable Mention ribbons may be awarded at the Judge’s discretion.)
- Limit of 3 photographs per category per photographer with no more than 12 total entries.
- Entries may be turned in beginning February 8 through the Entry deadline of 5:00 p.m., Friday, February 11, 2011 (a week before the garden show). Entries will be accepted at the Shawnee County Extension Office located on the Kansas Expo Centre grounds at the southwest corner of Maner Conference Center (enter at 18th and Western).
Please submit the following information only on the back of your photo entry:
- Indicate the top of your photograph so it will be oriented properly for display.
- Category to be entered.
- Name, address, zip code, phone number and e-mail address of the photographer.
- Any photo information, if known, such as type of camera and exposure settings.
Photographs may be picked up at the close of the Garden Show, 5:00 p.m., Sunday, February 20, or at the Extension Office the following week. Any photos not picked up after February 25 become the property of the Topeka Camera Club and may be discarded.
We encourage you as an exhibitor to enter as many photographic categories as possible. Photographs that have previously won should not be re-entered. Your cooperation in this respect is appreciated. If you have friends or acquaintances that might be interested in exhibiting, please pass along this information.
For questions, please call the Extension Office at 232‑0062 Ext. 100.
Exhibitors in the Photography Contest will be granted one free admission to the Kansas Garden Show in appreciation for their contribution. If accompanied by another person the second person must pay.
Bill Frakes & Laura Heald will be giving a free seminar at K.U. on Friday Evening (December 3rd) at 7:00pm on the Nikon D-Movie features:
Nikon Professional Services presents a special seminar for professional photographers featuring award-winning photographer and educator Bill Frakes along with pioneering visual storyteller Laura Heald. During this two hour seminar, they will discuss using the latest in High Definition video equipment to take storytelling to new heights. Frakes, a staff photographer at Sports Illustrated, has garnered many awards including a staff prize for the Pulitzer Prize at the Miami Herald. His commercial clients include Apple, Nikon, Coca-Cola, Nike and many more. Heald is a versatile, multi-faceted story-teller who co-founded Straw Hat Visuals, a media company based in Jacksonville, Florida.
This free Nikon sponsored seminar is open to the first 250 signees who register online. This three hour seminar is scheduled for Friday, December 3, 2010 at the Big 12 Room Kansas Union on the campus of the University of Kansas.
You can get more information and sign up for FREE here: http://kumultimedia120310.eventbrite.com/
The 2009–2010 N4C Photo Contest Winners have been posted. You’ll find details on this page.