This year, along with all the other exciting activities, the Kansas Garden Show will again sponsor a Photography Contest coordinated by the Topeka Camera Club. The Show will be held at the Kansas Expo Centre in Topeka on February 18, 19 & 20, 2011. Photographs will be exhibited at the photographer’s own risk.
The following criteria will apply to your entries:
- Horticulture must be the focal point of all pictures with the exception of Kansas Wild Flowers and Trees of The Wild categories. The definition of horticulture is the cultivation of a garden or orchard or the art or science of growing flowers, fruit, and vegetables.
- Photos should be no smaller than 5 x7 and no larger than 8 x 12, mounted on board stock or matted. Pictures may not be framed or under glass.
- Categories include:
A. Kansas Wild Flowers
B. The Rose
C. Spring Blooms
D. Summer Blooms
E. Trees of The Garden/Yard
F. Trees of the Wild
H. Animals/Insects in The Garden
(Ribbons will be awarded to the first three places in each category. Honorable Mention ribbons may be awarded at the Judge’s discretion.)
- Limit of 3 photographs per category per photographer with no more than 12 total entries.
- Entries may be turned in beginning February 8 through the Entry deadline of 5:00 p.m., Friday, February 11, 2011 (a week before the garden show). Entries will be accepted at the Shawnee County Extension Office located on the Kansas Expo Centre grounds at the southwest corner of Maner Conference Center (enter at 18th and Western).
Please submit the following information only on the back of your photo entry:
- Indicate the top of your photograph so it will be oriented properly for display.
- Category to be entered.
- Name, address, zip code, phone number and e-mail address of the photographer.
- Any photo information, if known, such as type of camera and exposure settings.
Photographs may be picked up at the close of the Garden Show, 5:00 p.m., Sunday, February 20, or at the Extension Office the following week. Any photos not picked up after February 25 become the property of the Topeka Camera Club and may be discarded.
We encourage you as an exhibitor to enter as many photographic categories as possible. Photographs that have previously won should not be re-entered. Your cooperation in this respect is appreciated. If you have friends or acquaintances that might be interested in exhibiting, please pass along this information.
For questions, please call the Extension Office at 232‑0062 Ext. 100.
Exhibitors in the Photography Contest will be granted one free admission to the Kansas Garden Show in appreciation for their contribution. If accompanied by another person the second person must pay.